Posted on Dec 30, 2010 | Comments 0
You donâ€™t have to be an alcoholic or a dependent user to want to cut back on alcohol consumption; reasons of good health and oneâ€™s weight are reasons enough, if the morning after the night before is not. However in social situations, it is difficult to do so, making it seem as though you are not participating.
So here are tips to cut down on alcohol without turning into a social pariah â€“
- Keep your hands busy. You could clutch a glass of juice, water or coffee, so that you have something to do with your hands at a party.
- Remind yourself that alcohol is not all that it is cracked up to be. It doesnâ€™t reduce social stress, and according to experts its benefits are more psychological than biological.
- Practice saying â€˜Noâ€™. Sometimes we give in to the coaxing of a friend offering a drink out of sheer habit and we donâ€™t have the strength of will to just say no. So practice saying no, rather than giving in to the habit of having a drink when hanging out.
- Keep a drinking diary to help you keep track.
- Get up early â€“ this is a great reason to refuse a drink that is offered.
- Fake it, if all else doesnâ€™t work. Pretend its gin when itâ€™s actually water!
Posted in: Self Help