There is a rising trend among teenagers and it is very disheartening to see that so many of them are going through some form of mental disorder or the other.
In today’s world there is a lot of pressure on teenagers, they have to perform well in studies because there is so much competition, they have to get admission in a proper college, they are going through many hormonal changes and hence their emotions and moods are very volatile, they start feeling attracted to the opposite sex and feel a lot of stress in that area too, they may be bullied by other teenagers and feel low self-esteem and so on.
- More than 46% of all teenagers between the age of 13 and 18 have some form of mental disorder.
- Mental disorders relating to eating patterns are more prevalent in girls and those from 13 to 17 years face eating disorders two and half times more than boys of the same age group.
- Teenage girls also have a high case of anxiety disorders and 30% of female teenagers suffer from it while only 20% of male teenagers face it.
- However, ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder is higher in male teens with 12.9% while in case of females it is only 4.9%.
- What is shocking is that there is suicidal tendency among over 3 million teenagers but only 36% get medical treatment to help themselves.
- Suicide is more common in male teens and they are 5 times more like to kill themselves but girls attempt suicide even more than boys these days.
- Teenagers go through many changes and also come to terms with their sexuality at this age and those who are homosexual are more likely to consider suicide than heterosexual teens.
- Around 10 to 15% of teenagers show some sign of depression and they are in danger of developing more mental disorders like bipolar disorder within 5 years.