Everyone wishes they had more time, but the best any of us can do is make better use of the time we do have.
Here are some tips to help you be more productive.
- Consider whether or not any given task really matters. If it doesn’t, get rid of it.
- Consider how well each task needs to be done. Do not spend extra effort going above and beyond when it is not required. Perfectionism is a trap.
- Observe when you are most productive, and schedule your most important and challenging tasks for those times.
- Do your least favorite task first, and get it out of the way.
- Break tasks down into manageable pieces.
- Observe how you procrastinate. Do you have to make that extra trip to the bathroom? Fix a fresh cup of coffee? Readjust your office chair? All of these can be ways of procrastinating.
- Know when to delegate. Everything that has to be done doesn’t have to be done by you.
- Find a block of uninterrupted time to work. You can produce almost twice as much in a time period free from interruptions.
- Minimize distractions. This means no stopping to answer the phone, or checking your email just one more time. When you find your focus straying, bring it back.
- Hold yourself accountable.
- Do not mistake urgency for importance and vice versa.