There should be sudden recoil of the lips in ip, of the tip of the tongue in it, and of the back of the tongue in ih.
Repeat rapidly. Also with ib, id and ig.
- Relax jaw. Move from side to side and forward and back.
- Repeat while singing ah.
- Open the mouth and bring the lips together quickly and firmly, aiming at equal pressure.
With lips tightly closed, compress the breath against lips and cheeks, resisting with these muscles and finally forcing the lips open.
Open the mouth, keeping the tongue flat, with tip lightly touching the lower teeth. Without arching, the tongue thrust it straight forward and draw it back as far as possible several times.
Again, open the mouth wide, and in dotting fashion continue with the tongue along the upper and lower lips.
- Fold back tip of tongue with the aid of the teeth.
- Groove tongue.
- Make lapping movement of the tongue.
- To depress the base of the tongue, carry the point of the tongue forward between the teeth; then draw the whole tongue vigorously backward, as if trying to swallow it.
- Trills aspirate r.
- Trill vocal r.
Repeat running up and down scale
Open the mouth as in yawning. Gently raise the soft palate. Practice will enable the pupil to contract the uvula as to make it entirely disappear from sight.
Raise the larynx to its utmost height and lower it to its greatest depth. Swallowing will help it to ascend and gaping to descend.
Exercises in alliteration:
- Deaf doddering Daniel Dunderhead dictated difficult didac tic disingenuousness.
- Morose mariners and magnanimous men make much magnetism.
- Theophilus Thistle, the successful thistle sifter, in sifting a sieve full of unsifted thistles, thrust three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb. Now if Theophilus Thistle, the successful thistle sifter, in sifting a sieve full of unsifted thistles, thrust three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb, see that thou, in sifting a sieve full of unsifted thistles, thrust not three thousand thistles through the thick of thy thumb. Success to the successful thistle sifter.
- Gibeon Gordon Grelglow, the great Greek grammarian, graduated at Grilgrove College.
- Incomprehensible incommunicability.
- Amos Ames, the amiable aeronaut, aided in an aerial enter prise at the age of eighty-eight.
- Round the rough and rugged rocks the ragged rascals rudely ran.
- Zig-zaged zinc zones and zithers.
- Henry Hingham has hung his harp on the hook where he hitherto hung his hope.
- Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. Now if Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, where are the pickled peppers that Peter Piper picked?
- Benjamin Bramble Blimber, a blundering banker, borrowed the baker’s birchen broom to brush the blinding cobwebs from his brain.
- Imbecile Irwin indef atigably inculcated inveterate isolation. Henry Hingham has hung his harp on the hook where he hitherto hung his hope.
- How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck would chuck wood?
- Querulous quips were quoted by quiet Queenie Quilp.
- Kemuel Kirkham Kames cruelly kept the kiss that his cousin Catherine Kennedy cried for.
- Flags fluttered fretfully from foreign fortifications and fleets.
- She sells sea-shells; shall he sell sea-shells?
- Jasper, the jolly juror, justly joked John, the journalist.
- Xanthians Xebeced xantic xylographers.
- Extraordinary and excessive irritability was exhibited by these execrable people.
- A lily lying all alone along the lane.
- Unwise, unjust and unmerciful university usages.
- Caius Cassius contrived concatenating circumstances causing chivalrous Caesar’s citation.
- Nine neutral nations negotiated numerous nuptials.
- Yelled and yelped the yeoman’s youngsters in yesterday’s yacht and yawl.
- Obstructionists and oppressors often opposed operations.
- Vivian’s vernacular gives vividness to every verse.