Posted on Jun 08, 2009 | Comments 0
When you persuade people, it means that you are getting them to do what you want them to do, and the more successful you are at persuasion, the better your results would be.
Take for instance the reason why most of us do not lie or cheat: it is simply because someone, at some time, persuaded us that this is the wrong thing to do.
If you want to become one of those people who seem to be persuasive enough to convince people into their way of thinking, then here are some tips for you:
- You must, at the outset, believe in yourself completely, and in your abilities and talents. This in itself may act as a persuasive factor.
- Sit down and analyze all your strong and weak points, and know them fully. Decide what you want to do about your weak points, and then go about improving on all your strong points, so that you may be able to project yourself as a strong, confident and capable person who would do a good job of persuading other people into following your line of thinking.
- Always be enthusiastic and excited about what you want to present to the other person. This in itself will motivate others into following your view point, and encourage them into being more open about your opinions. [How to Motivate Others]
- You must decide before you start attempting to persuade, what the outcome of your persuasion must be to you. At the same time, do not neglect to think and decide what you feel the other person actually wants out of the ongoing conversation.
- You must decide what the least you can expect out of your conversation, and also the maximum.
- Try to analyze the type of problems that may crop up unexpectedly when you are persuading someone to do something. If you know about these problems beforehand, then it will be a simple enough matter for you to prepare for them before you face the individual you are trying to persuade.
- Think of how to turn each and every problem that crops up into a learning experience, and a sort of steeping stone that will help you face a similar situation in your future in a better way.
Remember, miscommunication can be one of the main problems in interactions between different individuals, and it would help a great deal if one person were to prepare beforehand the outcome of a conversation and know what he wants to say in order to persuade the other into accepting and following his views. Effective persuasive skills can be learnt easily.
Posted in: Personal Growth