Are you a shy person? Have you ever wished that you could be a part of the lively discussion going on in your office, but feel that your shyness prevents you from doing so?
Have you ever thought of overcoming your shyness so that you can reveal to everyone your abilities and capabilities at work? Donâ€™t worry, you are not alone; almost fifty percent of any workforce is shy, and all these people would not mind learning a few tips on how to overcome this almost disability.
Here are a few tips for you if you are a shy person:
- First and foremost, you must want to change yourself. If you are much too shy to think of change, then this is not for you. Remember; there are plenty of seemingly extroverted people who are actually shy inside, and who have learnt to overcome their shyness at least to a certain extent in their workplace, so that they may be able to give their best towards building up their career. With a little effort, you too will be able to change your behavior!
- One thing you can do is to focus less on yourself and how shy you are, and how difficult it is for you to start a conversation with a stranger for example, and focus more on the others around you. You will be amazed indeed on how positively people will respond to you, if you make the effort to interact with them in a positive way.
- Learn the secret art of listening when a person talks to you. This is one thing, more than anything else, will get the other person interested in what you have to say to him, because he knows that you are interested in what he has to say to you.
- Learn the art of asking those questions that will make people start talking about themselves, and I am sure that once they start, it will be an ice breaker for you, and you can listen attentively and make your comments at all the right intervals.
- Learn to never intrude into a personâ€™s private territory; never ask offensive questions and try to stay on the neutral track as far as possible, like for example, the weather, sports, news events and so on.
- Learn to make eye contact with the person you are making a conversation with; this will make the other person trust you and you will be able to open up to him, thereby overcoming your shyness.
Know that your shyness can be overcome with a little bit of effort on your part, and anyway, feel good about yourself all the time, and never think that you are defective in some way. Almost half of this world is shy!