Your workspace, like your home, needs to be well organized. The following are some of the handy tips to organize office.
Plan Your Workplace
- Use “L” and “U” shaped desks for the most competent workspaces
- Store your gadgets and equipment such as telephone, computer, etc. on one “wing”
- Leave the other wing free to spread out while you work
- Have everything you need within arm’s reach
- This way you can hold the telephone and take notes at the same time
- Add a hutch for extra storage for books, supplies, and equipment
- Avoid cluttering your workspace by filing away personal items
- Place your wrists flat when typing or using a mouse.
- If not, use a keyboard tray or wrist rest when typing.
- Pay special attention to your body aches and pains aren’t normal.
- Do not generally bend, squat, or stretch at your workstation.
- Place your monitor at eye level; if not, raise your monitor.
- When sitting, your thighs need to be parallel to the floor.
- Your calves need to be perpendicular to the floor with feet on the ground
- If not, adjust your chair or bring in a footrest.
Shortage of Supplies
- Do not hoard supplies at your desk
- Keep only what you need right now at your workstation
- Use a separate supply area for storing bulk amounts
- Store away extras in labeled containers and group like items together
- Ex: writing utensils, clips, notepads, etc.
- Place flat items (paper, sheet protectors, and folders) in stacking trays
- Place drawer dividers in drawers to keep small items in order
- Place envelopes and note cards in a small vertical rack
- Use bracket shelves above your desk for additional storage