Posted on Jul 19, 2010 | Comments 0
Just hearing the word breakup makes you feel uneasy and creates a feeling of certain sadness. It could be from a failed marriage, an unsuccessful relationship with a boyfriend or girlfriend or even an end to a long friendship that has been destroyed by circumstances.
Whatever relationship it is, breaking up is really a very painful and devastating process.
Death in a way is sometimes easier to deal with because you know that a master plan has been created and that in no way was it your fault why you had to separate; besides, you can always live with the best memories left by the relationship.
The hardest part after a breakup is moving on and moving forward, no one says it is easy, but there are numerous ways you can deal with the breakup by following these simple steps.
- Give yourself a break and allow some time to grieve because this is essential to the healing process, do not deny yourself from expressing your loss, of companionship, support, hopes, plans and dreams. Masking or denying it is not healthy and may later cause more problems.
- Recognize your mixed feelings of anger, sadness, hatred, relief, fear and even confusion, then tell yourself it is normal to feel that way at the moment.
- Tell yourself that no matter how excruciating the pain is, itâ€™s not going to last forever and you have the whole future ahead of you.
- Do not isolate yourself as this will make matters worse. Talk to someone you trust and who will not make judgments of you, they could be a family member or a friend, then express your emotions no matter how incomprehensible they may be.
- Surround yourself with positive people who support, value, love and energize you.
- Stay away from negative people because they will drain you of your remaining energy and will just cause you too much stress.
- Think of positive and happy thoughts; do not linger on negative things.
- You may need to join a support group and join people who are dealing with the same issues that you have.
- Make new friendships, join a club, church, community activity, mission work or take a class and study something that interests you.
- Take care of yourself. This could be the most important lesson you will learn after the break up. Pamper yourself by going to the health spa and salon and get a massage, it may even be time to re-invent yourself and create a new you.
- Buy yourself a gift!
- Take time to nurture yourself everyday by doing calming and relaxing activities like a walk to the park, listen to your favorite music or read your favorite book.
- Do not make major decisions while you are still on the grieving process. Do not jump into a new relationship at this time.
- Live healthy, eat well, sleep well and exercise. Alcohol is not an option in coping up.
- Accept the fact that itâ€™s over and both of you have already made the decision to let goâ€¦
Remember the best way for revenge is to nurture yourself and be the best person you can be! Be complete on your own, the only person who will deserve you is the one who is in himself / herself complete, to share life together and not drain strength from each other.
Posted in: Love & Relationships