Many people have developed a deep distrust of bosses or managers, which is often due to their experience with current or past managers. They turn to the informal leaders – fellow workers who have gained their respect and whose opinions and actions they admire and emulate. The effective leader recognizes the influence these men and women have in the acceptance of new ideas among their followers.
If you think that your leadership abilities is deteriorating then check the following 6 tips:
- The job of the manager has changed. You can no longer be a “boss.” You must become a leader
- Too often managers think their management style is working well, when in fact, it isn’t working at all.
- Evaluate how you are leading by identifying areas in which you must change.
- Study the traits of great leaders. Emulate them.
- Have a clear vision of what you wish to accomplish. Articulate it, communicate it, stick to it.
- Commit yourself to take whatever action is necessary to become not just an average, but a great leader.