The key to successful goal setting is your ability to motivate yourself and stay motivated until you have accomplished your goals.
Getting and staying motivated is not as hard as it may seem.
It just takes discipline. Letâ€™s look at the thing that you should do in order to get and stay motivated.
First, letâ€™s take a look at what motivation really is.
- Positive goals that are geared toward your pleasure are much more powerful motivators than negative ones that are based on fear. The right combination of both is the most powerful and motivating mix.
- Motivation is not a product of outside influence; it is a natural product of your desire to achieve something and your belief that you are capable of doing it
Now letâ€™s look at what you can actually do to motivate yourself and stay that way.
- Start with visualizing your future success and model the feelings youâ€™ll experience when you achieve it
- Mentally walk the path towards this success and base your feelings at different milestones on the way
- Assign a high priority to each task that you must achieve which will give each task a priority in your mind
- Set a target for the amount of work you will do each day toward your goals
- Set milestones of the things you like to do and the things that you are good at
- Use visual indicators to monitor progress and complete the task
- Visualize the desired outcome: Create a picture of what the desired outcome will look like, and have this vision in your mind at all times
- Give yourself affirmations to remind yourself of how capable you are at reaching your goals
- Listen to music that motivates you
- Watch movies that motivate you
- Get help and support from people around you or from a professional in the field for example a personal trainer, finance manager etc.
- If you work better with competition, make a deal with a friend or family member to compete for the goal for example who gets there first! It can be hypothetical and doesnâ€™t necessarily have to be for real
- Focus on the positive achievements and not the negatives
- Define your own version of success, donâ€™t let others define success for you
- Ignore any negative influences or responses to your efforts
- Make a conscious effort to do better than you have ever done in the past
- Share your successes with others as this will keep you focused and help you voice your accomplishments which will realize your achievements for you
- Train yourself to finish what you start by refusing to quit until you are done
- Acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses and work on them both
- Donâ€™t be afraid to make mistakes and donâ€™t punish yourself for making them.