Posted on Apr 15, 2006 | Comments 0
There is a distinction between goal setting and effective goal setting. Anyone can do goal setting but effective goal setting means that it will actually get done. There are so many things that you can do to better your life, but you are stuck, if you donâ€™t know how to go about it.
Effective Goal Setting Guidelines
The following are the effective goal setting guidelines will help you to set effective goals and help you manage your time in a well-organized manner that will cause those effective goals to become actuality.
- Express your goals as a positive statement. The key component to goal setting that you can accomplish is through expressing them in a positive way.
- How often have you been excited to attain a goal that didnâ€™t even sound good when you brought it up? The likelihood of you succeeding is pretty low, if you are not comfortable or happy with the goals that you have set.
- You simply have to first think of a goal that puts a smile on your face when you imagine it completed, if you want to express your goals in a positive way. Why would you want to set a goal that made you frown, cringe or cry?
- That will garner you a great deal more support. In the end, donâ€™t we all need a little support when we are trying to do something positive in our lives?
- When you are beginning to set your goals it helps when you are talking about them to others in a manner that states your actions as positives because it will have others seeing it as a positive as well.
- Set a specific goal that includes starting times, dates and amounts so that you can properly measure your attainment.
- If you do this, you will know accurately when you have accomplished the goal, and can take complete satisfaction from having accomplished it.
- Being specific in goal setting is no more than setting them with accurate details. It is easier this way because then you can follow a step-by-step format. Thatâ€™s all there is to it.
Prioritize The Goals
- Give priority to each goal, when you have several goals.
- This helps you to avoid feeling besieged by too many goals, and helps to direct your concentration to the most important ones and follow each in succession. Setting priorities will force you into the step-by-step format above.
- You are enabling each task to be easier than the last by doing the most important first and moving to the least important in succession. It causes the achievement of each task to get easier and easier which will encourage you to complete your goal.
Make A Note Of The Goals
- This crystallizes your goals and gives them more force.
- You will be able to keep up with your scheduled tasks for each accomplishment by making a note of the goals. It also helps you to remember each task that needs to be done and allows you to check them off as they are accomplished.
- Basically, by making a note of the goals, you can better keep track of what you are doing so as not to repeat yourself unnecessarily.
- Keep the low-level goals you are working towards small and easy to attain. Goal can appear like that, you are not making progress towards it, if the goal is too large.
- Keeping goals small and incremental permits you more chances for reward. Obtain today’s goals from larger ones. It is a great way to achieve your goals.
Set Performance Goals
- You should set goals over which you have as much control as possible. There is nothing more disappointing than failing to attain a personal goal for causes that are not under your control.
- These could be bad business environments, bad weather, poor judging, just plain bad luck, or injury. You can keep control over the attainment of your goals and get satisfaction from attaining them if you base your goals on personal your performance.
Set Realistic Goals
- It is important to set goals that you can accomplish.
- Alternatively you may be inexperienced in setting very high goals. You might not be grateful for either the hindrances in the way, or understand quite how many skills you must master to achieve a particular level of performance.
- All sorts of people can set unrealistic goals for you, which is almost a assurance of failure. They will often do this in unawareness of your own desires and aims or flat out unconcern.
- By being realistic you are increasing your probability of success.
No Low Goal Settings
- Just as it is important not go for high unrealistic goal setting; do not set them too low. People tend to do this where they are afraid of failure or where they simply donâ€™t want to do anything.
- You should set goals so that they are slightly out of your immediate grasp, but not so far that there is no hope of attaining them. No one will put serious effort into attaining a goal that they believe is unachievable.
- However, remember that your belief that a goal is unrealistic may be wrong. If this could be the case, you can to change this belief by using imagery efficiently.
Posted in: Goal Setting