Posted on Mar 26, 2009 | Comments 0
There are a range of depression related disorders that can make an individual feel physically drained, invoke a feeling of worthless, hopeless and helpless.
It is these ways of negative thinking and feeling that makes people want to give up.
It is essential to be aware that the negative ways of looking at things are part of depression.
These are distortions that usually are not based on actual circumstances. Negative thoughts disappear when the effects of depression management begins to take hold.
But while you wait for treatment to kick in, you can help yourself.
Ways to help yourself out of depression
1. You should never take on lifeâ€™s important decisions at times of depression. Before making major changes, like changing jobs, getting married or divorced, it is better to consult with friends and family or even seek professional assistance if it is not possible to put off an important decision.
2. Try to be together with and to trust someone, it is always better than being alone and not talking to anyone.
3. Divide life into small goals, set yourself a list of these goals and prioritize them and try to achieve as much as you can without pushing yourself too hard [Organizing goals].
4. Push yourself as much as you feel you are able to be involved in any hobbies, pastimes or activities that will make you feel more relaxed.
5. Â Do light exercise, go to a sports event or the movie, or participating in any kind of group such as a church, or a social group of like minded people or perhaps take on additional education.
6. You need to be realistic about the goals that you set for yourself, taking into account the depression, and do not try to assume too much responsibility.
7. Do not expect that your general mood will change or improve quickly, these changes are a steady process that can only be achieved with time, there is no shortcut.
8. It is highly unusual that people leave a state of depression â€œovernightâ€, but it is very possible to improve a little better on a day to day basis.
Being positive in the way that you think will eventually take the place of the overwhelming negative thoughts that are a very â€œnaturalâ€ part of depression. Negative patterns will disappear as soon as your depressive state begins to respond to the treatment and your own changes in â€œmind-setâ€.
Remember, as soon as your depression responds to treatment, negative thoughts will be replaced by a more positive outlook on life.
Posted in: Depression