Posted on Apr 15, 2006 | Comments 0
Child attention deficit disorder seems to exist worldwide, boys are found to be afflicted with ADD more than girls, in at least in the countries tested thus far. Children show one of three main types of attention deficit disorder.
Types Of Child Attention Deficit Disorder
The three main types child attention deficit disorder are
- ADHD predominately inattentive
- ADHD predominately hyperactive-impulsive and
- ADHD combined type
Symptoms Of ADHD Predominately Inattentive Type: (AD/HD-I)5
A person with ADHD predominately inattentive type:
- Has difficulty with lengthy attention span.
- Struggles with instructions.
- Can be easily distracted.
- Struggles with organization.
- Misplaces items.
- Prefers not to use sustained mental effort.
- Does not seem to listen.
- Lacks attention to details, makes careless mistakes.
- Can be forgetful during everyday activities.
Symptoms Of ADHD Predominately Hyperactive-impulsive Type: (AD/HD-HI)5
A person with ADHD predominately hyperactive-impulsive type:
- Exhibits nervousness movements with hands or feet, twists in chair.
- Does not stay seated for long.
- Is in higher gear, running or climbs a lot.
- Has a tough time handling quiet activities.
- Talks a lot.
- Rushes to reply to questions before theyâ€™re finished being asked.
- Is impatient.
- Interrupts others.
Symptoms Of ADHD Combined type: (AD/HD-C)5
A person with ADHD combined type:
- Meets criteria from both sets above.
Causes Of Child Attention Deficit Disorder
Parents are not to be blamed in spite of which type of child attention deficit disorder a child shows. The cause of the child attention deficit disorder is mostly attributed to heredity factors.
Good parenting skills or bad ones have nothing to do with the cause of child attention deficit disorder. So outside factors like spoiling a child, divorce, abusive or bad parenting, poor or poverty living environment, etc. are not to blame.
A child with ADD should not be â€œlabeledâ€ with child attention deficit disorder and stuck into a category. Most of the children with ADD today can and do learn to overcome their limitations and far exceed expectations, competing well with those who do not have the disorder.
Child Attention Deficit Disorder
Studies show that the earlier a child is diagnosed and the earlier treatment begins, the better chance there is for success. In other words, early intervention is KEY.
Posted in: ADD